If you’ve ever tried to lose weight, then you know how difficult it can be. The temptations are everywhere! You may be working out diligently and eating healthy, but if you aren’t careful, your temptation diet will crumble faster than a stale graham cracker. So how do we resist temptation when losing weight? Here are seven ways:
By following some godly practices, you can resist temptation and lose weight.
You can resist temptation and lose weight by following some godly practices:
- God is our strength. “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”(2 Corinthians 12:9) We are weak and need His strength to overcome temptation and sin.
- God is our refuge. “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.” (Proverbs 18:10) Our identity should be firmly rooted in Him so that we have no other refuge but Him when we face trials or temptations of this world! So rest in Him! He cares about all your needs, not just physical ones, but emotional ones as well!
- God is our rock/refuge/fortress
Resist the Devil
One of the most important things you can do when struggling with temptation is to resist it. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you (James 4:7).
Do not give in to temptation; instead, flee from it (1 Corinthians 10:13). Don’t let your surroundings tempt you into sin (Matthew 5:29-30). We know that all people—even Christians—are tempted, but we must not remain where temptation exists (1 Corinthians 10:13; Hebrews 12:14), which means we need to remove ourselves from situations that cause us to sin or feel guilty.
Submit to God
Submit to God.
God has a plan for you, and if you submit to it, he will take care of you and give you what you need when you need it. You can trust him with your weight loss journey because he knows exactly what’s best for you in the long run! A few things that I have learned from submitting to God:
- His timing is always perfect
- His wisdom is always great
- He guides me every step of my weight loss journey with grace and love
Submitting my health goals and desires to God means submitting myself to his plan for me—and who wouldn’t want that?
Being humble is a good way to fight temptation, because it helps you avoid pride.
“Biblical humility is grounded in the character of God.. It helps us remember that we aren’t perfect, which will help us from feeling too proud when things go wrong during our weight loss journey.
The Lord rewards the humble with wisdom ( Prov 11:2 ). He does not ignore the plight of the humble and contrite ( Isaiah 66:2 Isaiah 66:5 ) but encourages the lowly and afflicted of heart ( Isa 57:15 ; 2 Cor 7:6 ).
anavah hebrew word
Read God’s Word
This is a great way to get your mind off of food. When you’re feeling hungry, turn to the Bible for encouragement and inspiration instead of food. It may sound silly, but it works! The Bible is full of verses that can help you overcome temptation because they remind you that God has overcome everything in life (including temptation). Some examples include:
1 Corinthians 10:13 (AMP).
Reading the Bible daily will help train your mind to focus on something other than food when it starts craving something sweet or salty. And since there are thousands of verses about why we shouldn’t eat too much junk food, there’s always something new to learn when you start reading scripture!
Pray for Strength
- Pray for strength. Pray to God for help and strength to resist temptation, whether that temptation is to eat unhealthy food or something else.
- Try this scripture-based prayer, “God, please give me the patience I need right now with this situation, even though I might not feel like it.”
- Or this one: “Dear Father in Heaven, thank you so much for giving us Jesus Christ who died on the cross for our sins so we can be forgiven and saved forever! Please help me believe in what He did and trust Him completely with all my heart! Thank you! In Jesus’ name I pray…Amen!”
The Apostle Paul says, “This is the victory that has overcome the world: our faith,” (1 John 5:4 AMP * MSG).
When you lose weight and are able to keep it off, you should be grateful for your ability to do so. To extend this further into your life, give thanks to God for all of his blessings. Be thankful for the food you have because without it you could not live. Be thankful for the ability to lose weight because without it we would have no purpose in this world. We are who we are because of our Creator and we must give him credit where credit is due.
It’s also important to remember that giving thanks is a choice; there will always be temptations around us but with each temptation comes an opportunity to choose whether or not we want them affecting us negatively or positively in our lives.”
Losing weight can be a challenge, especially when you’re dealing with temptation. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, it’s important to seek God’s help and surrender your desire to him. The Bible provides us with practical ways to overcome temptation, so we can stay on track as we reach our goals!